Quick update while I have internet access here on Gorakshep (a village 2 miles down the valley from Base camp).
A lot of sherpas and climbers are leaving base camp. There is obviously a deep feeling of mourning around base camp. We have all been very affected but this huge tragedy. Our sherpas have been wonderful and we are giving them time to relax and process this. If they want to continue I know Phil and I want to continue the expedition and I believe most or all of our team members will want to also. No decisions are being made in our expedition right now, but many of the big companies are pulling the plug on their expeditions. We all feel very sorry for the deaths of the 17 sherpas and even more for their families.
I know the American Alpine Club and other organizations are already raising money to help the families (besides the money the will receive from the outfitters and the insurance every outfitter must pay for each sherpa). We want to be very respectful to all the sherpas and their loss and even more our sherpas who have been so professional and so wonderful with us. If our sherpas decide they do not want to continue we will have to respect their decision, but so far it looks like they will want to continue. I will keep you all updated.